Friday, February 6, 2009

Okonomiyaki for dinner


Wednesday night I had dinner with Karen and two of her co-workers in the Consulate office. We went to Uma no Suke and ate okonomiyaki, it was wonderful. Okonomiyaki's literal translation is "as you like it pancake". The base is made with flour, grated yams, water, eggs, and shredded cabbage. Then you add whatever you would like. OK, I wasn't very adventurous, I added, egg, bacon, onions, cheese and chili sauce, along with the okonomiyaki sauce and spicy mayonnaise sauce. There are so many things that can be added; all types of seafood, squid, shrimp and you get tuna flakes to sprinkle on top. They cook these at a grill built in the center of your table, and then you eat it directly from the grill!

We ended the meal with dessert of zenzai, which is a scoop of shaved ice on top of sweet beans. I tasted Anya's sweet beans, and they really were just sweet beans. I was expecting it to taste like baked beans because that is what it looked it. Again, I wasn't very adventurous; I got strawberry flavored with condensed milk.

Saturday will be whale watching. I hope to have lots of good pictures to post for you all to share the day with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment