Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sunshine

It is Thursday afternoon and the sunshine has finally returned! It was sunny Wednesday and today. I had a service member come in today and tell me that he received a phone call on his cell phone last night from a man that said he was a contractor with the DOD and he was supposed to drop off a VA benefits book to him. Anyway, he made an appointment to meet with the man today at his house at 5:00 p.m. He said he got to thinking about it and decided that it was strange to get that phone call. I assured him that I am the only VA representative on the island! He called security and they told him that companies get military retirees to work for them because they have base access. The military retiree calls and sets an appointment to see someone and then tries to sell them something. It is not considered soliciting because they have an appointment. We decided that I would go to his house this afternoon to be there at 5:00 to see what the man has to say. When I arrived I thought this is crazy, I can't go in that man's house. I had decided that I wouldn't actually go in, I would tell him I would wait outside. Luckily when I knocked on his door, his wife was there also, which made me feel much better. Anyway, I sat there and visited with them until 5:45 p.m. this was a really nice young couple. He is a flight medic. He was a paramedic, and then became a thoracic trauma nurse in an ER in Winchester, MA. Darn, the other man never showed up, I was anxious to introduce myself as the real VA rep! He and his wife were concerned with how this man got his cell phone number. I told him to call me and let me know if he hears from him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment