Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Food in Okinawa



Jusco is a very popular store in Okinawa. It would be like a giant Walmart Super Center. It is about four stories high, each floor has different things, the first floor is groceries and household type items, the other floors are clothes, shoes, etc. This is an example of how they have the meat laying out each day. Yes, those are marinated whole squid. They have very small refrigerators, so they basically buy small amounts of groceries everyday. That would never work for me, I HATE going to the grocery store!

Makaishi Public Market, this is where they sell fresh fish, shrimp, pork, etc. In Okinawa, they use every part of the pig. The fish are puffer fish, they love to eat these, but if they are not cooked properly, they are very poisonous.
This is fried rice from my very favorite restaurant. I didn't discover it until about mid April. It is a good thing, because with that big hunk of butter on this fried rice there is nothing healthy about this dish!
Another one of my very favorite restaurants is SuSuSoon - Pancakes and Sushi. I never tried the sushi, but the pancakes are awesome. My favorite is Maple Gorgonzola Pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment