Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My final Okinawa sunset!




Yes, I got up at 4 a.m. on my last day, May 15th, to drive to Miyagijima Island to see my final sunrise in Okinawa. Remember I had to drive to Miyagijima Island because the sun doesn’t actually rise over the waters of Okinawa. Miyagijima is actually only about 10 miles from Kadena. It was a sad day, to know that I may never get to experience the sunrise at this exact location again. But, on the other hand, it was a great day because I get to see Stephen and the rest of the family today. I leave May 15th, at 11:50 a.m. and arrive in Little Rock about 21 hours later, at 6:30 p.m. May 15th.




My final sunset in Okinawa. I sat and enjoyed the sunset from Sunabe Seawall. This is located just outside Gate 1 of Kadena Air Base. Needless to say, I am certainly going to miss my daily ocean view. Even when it was raining it was wonderful!

5 comments:

  1. Its a great Place Im going back this summer 2010. I lived there previously for 4 years and I should have put more effort into staying because now i want to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pictures. I was stationed there in 1986-87 and loved seeing the sunsets from my apartment on a hill just east of Futenma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!! Is there Miyagijima Uruma-city??
    I didn't realized sunrise is soo beautiful in Miyagijima. but I remember, in the morning strong sunshine made me wake up!! I grew up at there for 20 years then now I live in Tokyo for long time.. I wish I could go back to my hometown right now! Thank you for nice one Carol!! I hope you will come back to Okinawa again someday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope to come back to Okinawa someday! Even though I spent five months there, there are still many things I didn't have time to do! It is a beautiful place with beautiful people!

    ReplyDelete