Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Kijimuna sighting!


I have been seeing a little elf type creature around the island, I thought he was a miniature Jolly Green Giant, I actually thought it meant there was a roadside fruit and vegetable stand close by! I learned today that he is called Kijimuna, which mean tree people. The store is that he is a little person that lives in the trees. He has red hair all over his body, and is usually a good guy, but can also play tricks on people also. Legend says that he appears and helps fishermen, in return for helping the fishermen, he gets to eat the left eyeball of the fish, the fisherman gets the rest of the fish. When I was in Okuma, I went to a gallery and there were several pictures of a red “monster” looking thing, see the picture I have here. I think this is actually Kijimuna. Those of you that have been here before, do you remember Kijimuna?

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Mom! I want one of those! How neat! Do they have any that aren't quite so SCARY looking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom- Check out this blog http://www.okinawahai.com/my_weblog/
    It makes me want to come visit. Sounds like there are plenty of things to do! Good shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to check out this place...Pancakes! They look amazing! I found it on the blog I told you about!

    Caracalla
    HOURS
    Open 0830-2000 (Last order 19:00) Closed Tuesdays
    098-894-4946
    http://www.caracalla.jp/


    DIRECTIONS:

    Head out of the commissary gate, take a right, left at the cowcow car dealership, right at the end of the street, it's a block up on your left.

    ***Pancakes range from about 700-900 yen. Add 300 yen for a set. A pot of tea is 700 yen.

    ReplyDelete